The Innovation Radar is a DG Connect support initiative which focuses on the identification of high potential innovations and the key innovators behind them in FP7, CIP and H2020 projects. The Radar supports the innovators by suggesting a range of targeted actions that can assist them in fulfilling their potential in the market place. The first Innovation Radar Report reviews the innovation potential of ICT projects funded under 7th Framework Programme and the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme. Between May 2014 and January 2015, the Commission reviewed 279 ICT projects, which had resulted in a total of 517 innovations, delivered by 544 organisations in 291 European cities. Continue reading
The partnership aims to change the way organisations, particularly within Financial Services, manage the semantics embedded in their data landscapes. This will offer several core benefits to existing and prospective clients including locating, contextualising and understanding the meaning and content of Information faster and at a considerably lower cost. The partnership will achieve this through combining the latest Information Management and Semantic techniques including:
- Text Mining, Tagging, Entity Definition & Extraction.
- Business Glossary, Data Dictionary & Data Governance techniques.
- Taxonomy, Data Model and Ontology development.
- Linked Data & Semantic Web analyses.
- Data Profiling, Mining & Discovery.
This includes improving regulatory compliance in areas such as BCBS, enabling new investment research and client reporting techniques as well as general efficiency drivers such as faster integration of mergers and acquisitions. As part of the partnership, Data to Value Ltd. will offer solution services and training in PoolParty product offerings, including ontology development and data modeling services.
Nigel Higgs, Managing Director of Data to Value notes; “this is an exciting collaboration between two firms which are pushing the boundaries in the way Data, Information and Semantics are managed by business stakeholders. We spend a great deal of time helping organisations at a grass roots level pragmatically adopt the latest Information Management techniques. We see this partnership as an excellent way for us to help organisations take realistic steps to adopting the latest semantic techniques.”
Andreas Blumauer, CEO of Semantic Web Company adds, “The consortium of our two companies offers a unique bundle, which consists of a world-class semantic platform and a team of experts who know exactly how Semantics can help to increase the efficiency and reliability of knowledge intensive business processes in the financial industry.”
REEEP  and CTCN  have recently launched Climate Tagger, a new tool to automatically scan, label, sort and catalogue datasets and document collections. Climate Tagger now incorporates a Drupal Module for automatic annotation of Drupal content nodes. Climate Tagger addresses knowledge-driven organizations in the climate and development arenas, providing automated functionality to streamline, catalogue and link their Climate Compatible Development data and information resources.
Climate Tagger for Drupal is a simple, FREE and easy-to-use way to integrate the well-known Reegle Tagging API , originally developed in 2011 with the support of CDKN , (now part of the Climate Tagger suite as Climate Tagger API) into any web site based on the Drupal Content Management System . Climate Tagger is backed by the expansive Climate Compatible Development Thesaurus, developed by experts in multiple fields and continuously updated to remain current (explore the thesaurus at http://www.reegle.info/glossary). The thesaurus is available in English, French, Spanish, German and Portuguese. And can connect content on different portals published in these different languages.
Climate Tagger for Drupal can be fine-tuned to individual (and existing) configuration of any Drupal 7 installation by:
- determining which content types and fields will be automatically tagged
- scheduling “batch jobs” for automatic updating (also for already existing contents; where the option is available to re-tag all content or only tag with new concepts found via a thesaurus expansion / update)
- automatically limit and manage volumes of tag results based on individually chosen scoring thresholds
- blending with manual tagging
“Climate Tagger  brings together the semantic power of Semantic Web Company’s PoolParty Semantic Suite  with the domain expertise of REEEP and CTCN, resulting in an automatic annotation module for Drupal 7 with an accuracy never seen before” states Martin Kaltenböck, Managing Partner of Semantic Web Company , which acts as the technology provider behind the module.
“Climate Tagger is the result of a shared commitment to breaking down the ‘information silos’ that exist in the climate compatible development community, and to provide concrete solutions that can be implemented right now, anywhere” said REEEP Director General Martin Hiller. “Together with CTCN and SWC laid the foundations for a system that can be continuously improved and expanded to bring new sectors, systems and organizations into the climate knowledge community.”
For the Open Data and Linked Open Data communities, a Climate Tagger plugin for CKAN  has also been published, which was developed by developed by NREL  in cooperation with CTCN’s support, harnessing the same taxonomy and expert vetted thesaurus behind the Climate Tagger, helping connect open data to climate compatible content through the simultaneous use of these tools.
REEEP Director General Martin Hiller and CTCN Director Jukka Uosukainen will be talking about Climate Tagger at the COP20 side event hosted by the Climate Knowledge Brokers Group in Lima , Peru, on Monday, December 1st at 4:45pm.
Further reading and downloads
- Climate Tagger Drupal Module: https://www.drupal.org/project/climate_tagger
- Climate Tagger plugin for CKAN Plugin: https://github.com/REEEP/ckanext-climate-tagger
- More semantic modules for Drupal: http://www.semantic-web.at/semantic-drupal-modules
REEEP invests in clean energy markets in developing countries to lower CO2 emissions and build prosperity. Based on strategic portfolio of high impact projects, REEEP works to generate energy access, improve lives and economic opportunities, build sustainable markets, and combat climate change.
REEEP understands market change from a practice, policy and financial perspective. We monitor, evaluate and learn from our portfolio to understand opportunities and barriers to success within markets. These insights then influence policy, increase public and private investment, and inform our portfolio strategy to build scale within and replication across markets. REEEP is committed to open access to knowledge to support entrepreneurship, innovation and policy improvements to empower market shifts across the developing world.
About the CTCN
The Climate Technology Centre & Network facilitates the transfer of climate technologies by providing technical assistance, improving access to technology knowledge, and fostering collaboration among climate technology stakeholders. The CTCN is the operational arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism and is hosted by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and 11 independent, regional organizations with expertise in climate technologies.
About Semantic Web Company
Semantic Web Company (SWC, http://www.semantic-web.at) is a technology provider headquartered in Vienna (Austria). SWC supports organizations from all industrial sectors worldwide to improve their information and data management. Their products have outstanding capabilities to extract meaning from structured and unstructured data by making use of linked data technologies.
-  Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership, http://www.reeep.org
-  Climate Technology Centre and Network, http://www.unep.org/climatechange/ctcn/Home/tabid/131937/Default.aspx
-  Reegle Tagging API, http://api.reegle.info/
-  Climate and Development Knowledge Network, http://cdkn.org/
-  Drupal Open Source Content Management System, http://www.drupal.org
-  Climate Tagger Website: http://climatetagger.net
-  PoolParty Semantic Suite, http://www.poolparty.biz/
-  Semantic Web Company, http://www.semantic-web.at
-  CKAN, http://www.ckan.org
-  NREL is a national laboratory of the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, operated by the Alliance for Sustainable Energy, LLC
-  http://www.reeep.org/events/cop-20-side-event-innovation-and-collaboration-transforming-knowledge-climate-action
SEMANTiCS conference celebrated its 10th anniversary this September in Leipzig. And this year’s venue has been capable of opening a new age for the Semantic Web in Europe – a marketplace for the next generation of semantic technologies was born.
As Phil Archer stated in his key note, the Semantic Web is now mature, and academia and industry can be proud of the achievements so far. And exactly that fact gave the thread for the conference: Real world use cases demonstrated by industry representatives, new and already running applied projects presented by the leading consortia in the field and a vivid academia showing the next ideas and developments in the field. So this years SEMANTiCS conference brought together the European Community in Semantic Web Technology – both from academia and industry.
- Papers and Presentations: 45 (50% of them industry talks)
- Posters: 10 (out of 22)
- A marketplace with 11 permanent booths
- Presented Vocabularies at the 1st Vocabulary Carnival: 24
- Attendance: 225
- Geographic Coverage: 21 countries
This year’s SEMANTiCS was co-located and connected with a couple of other related events, like the German ISKO, the Multilingual Linked Open Data for Enterprises (MLODE 2014) and the 2nd DBpedia Community Meeting 2014. This wisely connected gatherings brought people together and allowed transdisciplinary exchange.
Recapitulatory speaking: This SEMANTiCS has opened up new sights on Semantic Technologies, when it comes to
- industry use
- problem solving capacity
- next generation development
- knowledge about top companies, institutes and people in the sector
- Save the date for SEMANTiCS 2015: 15th – 17th of September 2015, Vienna
- SEMANTiCS 2014 – picture gallery: Flickr